Interserve is one of the world’s foremost support services and construction companies, operating in the public and private sectors in the UK and internationally, offering advice, design, construction, equipment, facilities management and front-line services. Interserve is based in the UK and is listed in the FTSE 250 index. The Group employs some 50,000 people worldwide and in 2012 generated gross revenue of £2.4 billion.
Interserve has provided catering services as part of their total facilities management solution for a number of years.
The delivery of services to approximately 200 centres is varied both geographically and by service style, examples of which are:
- Corporate catering including restaurant, café and hospitality
- Residential training establishments, catering, bar and accommodation
- Industrial staff canteens
- Secure premises catering and training support
- Local government restaurant and café facilities
- Acute Hospital including staff and visitor catering, café, vending, hospitality services and patient meals.
- Non acute hospital hospitality and patient meals
It was Interserve’s aim to drive forward the catering in a way that would enable consolidation of reporting, a more streamlined purchasing process, reduce wastage and also more accurate recipe and menu management for the benefit of their clients.
With such a variety of catering units spread across the United Kingdom, Interserve was looking for a solution that would enable them to further improve central reporting whilst streamlining catering operations within each of the 180 centres.
Initially Interserve saw Saffron introduced as a pilot system, with the aim to consolidate the volume of data that was being used to report on business performance. The success of this pilot saw Saffron rolled out throughout the business.
- Introduction of the Finance Centre enabled Interserve to consolidate and centralise the reporting on performance throughout the business. From Cafe Supervisor through to Managing Director accessibility to the same report in the same format ensures business aims are clear and consistent.
- Interserve has utilised the direct purchasing process, used in line with stock control ensures automatic updates of stock levels and immediately flags up any discrepancies, with data available back at head office for real time reporting. Interserve is currently in the process of extending this capability, with the introduction and integration with EPoS.
- With the Menu and Recipe Management functionality all menus and recipes are nutritionally analysed and are linked with the Interserve price file, all menus and recipes are at all times up to date with the latest prices, ensuring accurate costings throughout the business.
- Interserve is now able to more accurately measure food wastage, which has allowed them to become more efficient in reducing the amount produced.
“The utilisation of Saffron has enabled instant viewing of operational activity; this in turn facilitates the swift interaction to resolve challenges proactively. The speed and accuracy of access we have to data is one of the key benefits we have found from Saffron. Saffron has enabled us to consolidate the processes and reporting system we adhered to previously, which has effectively improved the efficiency of our operations.”
Alex Briggs, Food Operations Manager.